Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hot Wheels and Kinder Surprize

I was at the store the other day and saw what I had not seen in years.  In truth, it was my niece who brought it to my attention.  She wanted me to buy her one; a Kinder Surprise.  That chocolate egg with the "surprise" toy in the middle.  Kids love it.  It's funny how our minds store away memories until just that moment.  Immediately, I was transported to my past.  Without reserve or delay I allowed the scenes to roll through the video of my mind. 

At that time I remembered the days of old when my son was just a boy.  He loved Kinder Surprises and Hot Wheels.  I laugh now because we used to spend so much time selecting just the right hot wheel and then assembling the surprise found in the chocolate egg.  It was a much simpler time.  I smile at the memories of my yesterday.  I texted my son, who is far older than he was back then, and reminded him of those days that are apart of his childhood.  I hope it made him smile.

I would love to go back to the time that these things represent and yet, I wouldn't trade these days I am living today.  You see, our past is our past for a reason.  It helps to frame who we are but for sure we can't stay in it.  I have heard it said our past is simply for reference and not residence.  That is sage advise.  Indeed, we should not hold on to it so tightly we miss the lessons from today. 

Friends, hot wheels and kinder surprises will always make me smile, but alas, no-one stays a child forever.  Henceforth, let us try our best to live in the here and now.  Let us endeavor to make memories afresh and be active participants in our present. I have a co-worker who always reminds me of this beautiful verse, "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this... sometimes we look back w/longing and the what ifs etc..... Some even get entranced/lost in past memories. It's def important to be present in the here and now.

    ReplyDelete