Monday, June 29, 2020

Time to take a stance

Everyone is talking about it.

You cannot live in 2020 and not hear of it.  If you, like me, are detached from the media (social or otherwise), you will still hear about it and even engage in conversations about it.  It is that pervasive.  In fact just today someone sent me a video that had a different spin on things.  It was a white lady stating that she was not white but black - just really lightened.  To be fair, I stopped listening after that comment so not sure if she redeemed herself after that comment.  I said to my friend who wanted to "educate" me that I am not sure I am in agreement with that comment.  She said, It's true and people need to know the truth.

I always hear that line from "A few good men" : You can't handle the truth!  The issue on race has blanketed the COVID19 pandemic.  It cries out for attention and demands change from every person.  I am a woman of colour and this unveiling of truth has been hard to handle. I am a mother, a sister and a friend of black men and boys.  My grandson is bi-racial and it hurts me to think of a future where his crime is being black.  I get it and yes I feel it deeply.

However, what stance am I taking?  It is time to take a stance - one way or another - but what should that stnace be?  What should I be lining up behind?  What is the message I want to add my voice to in this time of racial upheaval and a viral pandemic?

I stand for truth.  I stand for love.  I stand for righteousness.  I stand for Christ.  I stand for lending a hand and giving without holding back.  I stand for all lives matter - black, white and every other shade, however they identify themselves.  I am taking a stance.  I will not be moved.



No comments:

Post a Comment