Monday, August 22, 2011

Greater is He that is in me...

OUR GOD IS GREATER

“Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God… “

The words of this song by Chris Tomlin lift my spirit tonight.  I need all the encouragement I can get to stand up to this trial.  Truth be told, I just want to curl myself into the tiniest ball and cry until God sends in the cavalry. But He does not like that plan of mine.  I wonder why?   Because I am a soldier in God’s army and I will fight for right and the salvation of my family, friends and foes.

I cried today.  Big, loud sobs rose from my belly and out my mouth.  I hurt so much for him – my nephew.  To me he is my son and I wonder where did we fail him?  How could this be the reality?  Why has he gone astray? Why has he departed from the training?  I want to hold him to me. I don’t want to let go. But as the tears seemed endless, the voice of God said “Let him go”.  Even now, I don’t know how to do that. I have said it to his mom. Told her Let him go, there is nothing we can do for him now.  But now when I am the one hearing it from the Master Himself, I shudder and groan in my spirit.

When you have a child, you never think of the bad that could happen. Your pictures of their future never include a harshness that will swallow them or even get near them.  We are their protectors and we believe that will be enough. But alas, we deceive ourselves.  It’s not enough, and the boogie man gets into our home. He seeks to steal, kill and destroy.  He looks for the young and he preys on their weaknesses.  He capitalizes on their vulnerability, their frailness; and while we are staring with unseeing eyes he takes them. 

God help us through this. Secrets and lies are the bondage keeper.  My family, my nephew, my cousin, my aunt, my brother, my sister, myself…held in bondage of secrets.  Shhhh. Don’t say anything is all you hear. No-one talks about what happened. We hide behind masks that crumble with each passing year.  We can’t keep this up.  The unraveling continues generation after generation.  Why does he do what he does?  He has traded the truth for a lie.  I read the book Bondage Breaker and the author says, truth is the liberating agent.  The bible says, the truth shall set you free.

So, I am standing on that word.  I am forcing my lips to speak the truth over my family.  I am forcing my mind to think the truth.  I am in Christ.  I am trusting in my God that is Greater than he that is in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment