Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Choose what is better and it will not be taken away

I walked into my house tonight and immediately I knew I needed to retreat.  The air was heavy with the sounds of tired people that kept going.  My mom was cleaning the kitchen and every move she made was punctuated with a loud hiss of her teeth.  My sister, I suppose in an attempt to help, was banging cleaning supplies around in the bathroom.  I took one look at them, and did what my mind screamed - RETREAT! 

Prior to entering, I was also stewing in my own misery.  I started complaining about my day from last night.  My younger sister called me at 10:30pm to ask me to take her to her physiotherapy session.  In my mind I complained that she didn't give me enough notice; I had a hundred things to do at work; and I hate driving her SUV.  I complained about the project at work I was working on which just made me feel guilty.  God had graciously given me this project as an answer to a prayer for something to do at work. I prayed the night, and the next morning my boss came over and asked me to assist my co-worker.  I was not only miserable but ungrateful. 

I am smiling to myself as I type this because I really was being a brat to myself all day.  I knew exactly what was missing - my retreat time with my wonderful Father.  I needed some time at His feet to set me straight. I needed the Mary seat after being Martha all day long.  If I have lost you, let me catch you up on two sisters who were good friends of Jesus.  Luke wrote:

Luke 10:38-42

New International Version (NIV)

At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Source: http://www.biblegateway.com

Have you been a little distracted with the tasks you have before you?  Is your calendar full and your days rolling all together as one?  Have you found yourself miserable and just bad company?  Today, there were times I didn't want to be around myself, but thank God for the retreat God invited me to attend.  I didn't leave my house, the sanctuary was  right in my room with some good praise and worship music!  He says to you as well, "Come, have a seat. Listen to what I am saying to you.  Don't be worried or upset.  Choose what is better and it will not be taken away from you."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment