Saturday, October 15, 2016

Love while you still can


My dad passed away some years ago.  To be honest, it has been more years than I even realized.  Over twenty years I believe.  He was a good man; as good as could be for a man.  He was a hard worker, kind and tender hearted, a friend to others and a cheerful giver.  His legacy to us is to be a person that takes care of family.   I can understand why my mom has refused to take off her wedding band and refuses to re-marry despite my many conversations that she should. 

Have you ever heard that hind sight is 20/20?  All those things that I wrote about my Dad I have come to realize after he was no longer with us.  I was able to see him clearly only when I reflected on the yesterdays I had already passed through.  What brought this on?  It was a surgery and many hours in a waiting room.

My sister was having surgery.  Coincidentally, this surgery would mirror one that my dad had so many years ago.  It made me think of him in a new light.  He had to have a bag at his side as his intestines were damaged.  The difference between my sissy and my Dad is this – he went back out to work soon after.  He didn’t have benefits that allowed him to stay home for as long as it took for him to recover.  His return to work was more than likely before he was ready.  His whole way of life had changed and he didn’t have the time to process it.  Why?  He was an independent owner operator of a truck and he had a family that depended on him to support them.  He was the sole provider in the household.  We depended on him to work.  He did not shirk his responsibilities but embraced them and valiantly did what he should as a husband and a Dad.

My regret is this, that I failed to see this when it mattered most.  We missed the remarkable effort it took and didn’t ascribe to him the appreciation and gratitude he deserved.  For me there are no more chances as he is long since gone.  However, the lesson can be applied to today.  Look around you my friends and see what you have denied to others in your life.  Give them the blessings, the roses, the praises and affirmation now – while they are alive and you still have a chance.  Don’t miss it.  So for those of you that are reading now, may I say this – I love you for taking the time.  I appreciate you.  I pray God’s blessing for you.

Romans 12:10

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;

1 John 3:18

Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment