Sunday, April 21, 2013

God didn't make mistakes when He made you!

Today I looked at myself in the mirror.  I had just gotten up off the ground, having laid myself before my God.  In His presence I was able to see something that was not just for me, but for you also.  I am writing this by faith, believing that who needs to see this will see it and be blessed.  I am praying for you right now, that the lies and distortion will be removed by truth and right in Jesus' name.

As I stared at my reflection, singing, God dropped new lyrics in my heart that made their way out of my mouth as more than a song.  They were a declaration and a silence to whatever other voice that said differently.  They were a weapon against evil.  Evil defined by Jessica is anything that comes up against the plans and purpose God has for your life.  Evil is what distorts the truth and bounds people that God has already declared free in his son - Jesus.


I began singing:

I am who I'm supposed to be
God didn't make no mistakes
When He set about making me

I don't look like her
Act like her
Sing like her
Talk like her

No surprises there, she's not me
And I am not her but...

I am who I'm supposed to be
God didn't make no mistakes
When He set about making me

I am not a model
Nor the image on t.v.
Don't know much about
The girl they said I should be

No surprises there, she's not me
And I am not her but...

I am who I'm supposed to be
God didn't make no mistakes
When he set about making me

He said I am who I am supposed to be
He said I'm fearfully, wonderfully, perfectly
Made in His image

I am who I am supposed to be
God didn't make no mistakes
When He set about making me

For years, I have been compared to my sisters.  I am the 2nd daughter of 3 for my mom. For years I have lived comparing myself to them, listening to that lie that said I should be a carbon copy of either or both.  They are both gifted and serve God in the areas He has placed them and maybe since I was the last to be saved, I felt I had to do it like them. 

Along side that, and this preceded the former, I spent my teen and some adult years comparing myself to the image that was supposedly better than my own.  I allowed an imperfect world to tell me how to improve what God already said was good when He completed it - moi (me).  I bought into the ads that told me I was over weight and my hair was only wonderful straight.  My skin wasn't flawless and if that was not bad enough, I had a beard that forever needed to be plucked. (I am not a guy so you can certainly see my dilemma).

However, thank God that I have long since been reconciled to God's plan and purpose for my life, with me being just me.  I have also been liberated from the image of perfection that God did not intend for me, instead I celebrate the image looking back at me.  Me.

Today, I believe God wants to do it for some-one else.  Is it you?  If it is then this song is for you...sing it, declare it, make it your own. You are who you are supposed to be and God didn't make no (ignore the grammar) mistakes when He set about making you.

No comments:

Post a Comment