Tuesday, April 29, 2014

At the cross, at the cross

Today I got a phone call from my friend.  My sister friend is how I really see her, so it really sent a shiver through me when I heard her voice choked with tears.  She still has to deal with her son's Inverted Anus, and this is surgery number 3 for him. 

I admit that for a moment I didn't know how to comfort her. I am not even physically there to offer her a hug, to pat her back and say there there. I am all the way in Canada and she is all the way in America.  So I listened and I muttered words that seemed to do as I intended - calm her down to now just the occasional sobs.  This was hard and I agreed with her that it was.  She wondered why after two surgeries she still feels all this anxiety and fear.  Why is she crying again?  I thought and replied, why not cry?  When we stub our toe in the same spot on different days does it still not hurt?  Why then should this be any different?  Ahhhh, that did the trick. 

She then said "I wish I could do this for him. I wish I could take this for him".  This one statement, caused me to pause. Is this what God said about His son Jesus?  Think about it for a second or two.  If we in our frail humanity and sinful flesh could say and feel such love for our children, what did he feel as He gave up His only son to die for us? 

Yes I know, Easter came and went, with chocolate and the Easter bunny for some, but this really brings me right back to the cross and beyond.   I wonder if God wept to see Jesus beaten and abused.  I wonder if He clenched his fists or stood up from his throne.  I wonder if His heart felt bruised as his son's body was pierced.  I wonder because as a mom, I feel just my friend does.  I want to take spare my son and nieces and nephews the heart aches in life. I want to shield and protect. I want to hide them from evil and keep them safe from harm. I want their walk to be perfect, having no sorrow or woes.  I want their best.  I want it all for them and would sacrifice so that they could. 

John 3:16 declares for all who are willing to see to see "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son...."  His love for us was what kept him from striking dead all those who were persecuting His son unjustly.  His plans was far greater than the hurt and hardship...His plans were for you. Yes, you.  You the one that even now continues to read because God's spirit has drawn you here today.  God loves you.  This is truth and there is no other.  Yes, that same messed up, never got it right you.  He loved you before you were formed and his plans, that including the death and terrible pain of his son, was so that you could live.  He loves you, no matter how you may be feeling right now. He loves you through all your mess and your failures.  He loves you and if He had to send his son Jesus again, He would.  Just for you my friend, God gave his son just for you....

No comments:

Post a Comment