Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Be Holy as I am Holy


Be holy, for I, the Lord, Your God, am holy. Leviticus 19:2

 This is the verse that has been floating around my head since the last day of March.  It came about as a result of a discussion from one of our infrequent family get together. It was a question as to whether or not grown adults, who professed Christ as their Lord, should be watching shows that promote a life style that is away from their beliefs.   My sister said they are adults and therefore should be allowed to do whatever they want?  That is the issue.  It is not me or her but God’s word that convicts and lays out for those who will follow, a standard that is above and away from what is the norm of today.

God says, be holy as I am holy.  While I am thinking about it, I am examining my own life.  I am looking at the many things that I have allowed my senses to partake of in the guise of entertainment.  I have laughed at the off colored jokes that were laced with immorality.  I have turned a blind eye to shows that have content that are dirty for lack of a better word.  I have allowed the language to leave a stain on me.  I may not repeat it out loud but my mind captures each scene and replays it without a conscious effort on my part.  It sums up to this one word - unholy.

Maybe this is just for me. Maybe the magnifying lens of this verse was to closely examine my own actions as a Christian.  Maybe it is for me to realize that as a child of God, there is a higher standard that is set and I need to live up to it. I need to come up higher and be holy as God is holy.  The question that comes to me now is how can I do this?  How do I live holy in a world that sees nothing wrong with two men in a bed, or speaking about pre-marital sex as an everyday occurrence and a normal part of any relationship?  

After doing some research, I have concluded that God is saying to me be set apart, be the city on the hill, be the light.  There should be some distinction between Christians and non-believers.  There should be a difference that calls others to the light of Jesus Christ that is within us.  There should be a moral standard that is based on the word of God that others can see and know and follow.  So while we are all consenting adults, I will echo Paul’s sentiments to the people of Corinth “Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial….” (1 Cor. 10:23).

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment