Thursday, August 28, 2014

He who dwells in the Shelter - Psalm 91


Psalm 91


1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[
a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You have probably read this chapter many times over the course of your life, as have I.  Psalm is a staple to us, and rolls off the tongue as easily as Psalm 23.  Today however, I discovered that I have done such an injustice to God’s word.  I have allowed myself to become familiar with it.  Familiarity breeds contempt and for me, I see where knowing this Psalm closed my eyes from seeing its power.  There is richness and depth to be had, if only I had taken the time to study the word – this word.

 

Thank God that today He brought this word to the Embrace prayer line and the speaker and participants, led by Holy Spirit, highlighted what I have missed.  I was enlightened and thank God for his revelation. If we dwell, (live, inhabit) in God’s shelter we are promised everything that comes after verse one to the end at verse sixteen.  This is the condition that we often miss as we “recite” these words. One person has said this, we want the blessing but not the “blessor”.  We want the benefits but not the One who benefits.  However, we cannot reap the benefits without being in the house of the One who promises these things. 

This morning, the third morning of going through this chapter, it was told to us that God has gone beyond us dwelling in his shelter. In the New Testament book of John 15:4, he says He will dwell in us.  He will be the Greater in us that is greater than he who is in the world.  He not only protects us from the external things – the arrows, the pestilence, the diseases and so on but He keeps us from the inside. The speaker rightly says, when the chaos is around us, we have the peace within.  He is within us. 

I could go on about this word. It is good food and I am glad that He has prepared it for my consumption.  Therefore, I am hoping that this will whet your appetite enough that you will go for more. That you will open up that word and see for yourself what His spirit will reveal.  The word is alive and always rich.  I invite you to send me an email and share with me your findings.  Until then, may God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment