Monday, February 12, 2018

Dethroning King Flesh

I have been saved for over twenty years. In this period of time I can count on one hand the number of times I have engaged in the discipline of fasting. Why? Well my stomach always screamed louder. It shouted out protests with words that demanded my attention for now rather than later. Oh yes, I can imagine how Esau said I am going to die if I don’t eat NOW! King Flesh rises up again and again to conquer the Spirit by which we ought to be led.

I say all this because I am determined in this year of my life to dethrone this King once and for all. I am a Christian. I have a basket of fruit from the Spirit and self control is a peg of that fruit. I already have discipline I just need to excercise it. (As I type this I am forcing myself to stay on the stationary bike at the gym). Jesus at his most vulnerable time was tempted just as we are and he resisted. He didn’t turn stone to bread and feasted just to shut up the hunger pangs that must have been screaming at him. Likewise, we can resist the devil and he will flee.  We will do best to remember Esau’s unfortunate end. He wept bitterly when he realized that for a pot of stew he had lost what was rightfully his by birth.

As apart of this dethroning I am committed to fasting. Yes. It is difficult. I get threatened by my flesh that it will just die if not satisfied right this minute. I even get the plea bargains, the compromise strategies, the just this one time arguments. Yes King flesh is pulling out all the ammunition against this sudden use of self discipline on my part. He is not a happy camper and endeavours to make me miserable as well.  However I have found strength in the word of God. 
They that hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled. If I allow myself to feast on the word of God, to seek a closer walk with Jesus through prayer I will succeed. By Gods grace I can win in this battle.

Loved ones I am early on in the game. Yet this assurance keeps me motivated.  I will be filled and satisfied with a permanent reward that cannot be attained by satisfying the demands of my flesh. Yes, it screams now but the promise of God last’s longer indeed. So join me if you will on the dethroning of King Flesh. Let us be led by the Spirit of God. We will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment