Thursday, October 18, 2018

How can I give you up?

I claimed to have read the book of Hosea before, but after reading it this week I fear I lied to myself.  There is no way I could have read that book and remained unmoved.  There is no way I could have missed the plea from God to Israel and me for us to love Him. 

Yes, I opened the chapter with my own expectations.  I didn't plan to really explore beyond the first two chapters.  You know, the ones we talk about all the time.  Hosea the prophet hears from God to marry a harlot.  We see how she would prostitute herself and have children outside of the marriage bed.  We read about Hosea going back to buy her from the slave block and asking her to remain faithful.  All of this we know was done to illustrate the unfaithfulness of Israel. 

Normally, I would close the book and say that was beautiful God.  Amen.

However, this was not the case for me this week.  I went further and to be truthful, I need to return to the pages of this book for there is so much more in it for me and you (if you are willing to find out).  My heart got snagged on a few verses like

Hosea chapter 6:6 - 7NLT
I want you to show love,[b]
    not offer sacrifices.
I want you to know me[c]
    more than I want burnt offerings.
7 But like Adam,[d] you broke my covenant
    and betrayed my trust.


Hosea chapter 11:8-10NLT
“Oh, how can I give you up, Israel?
    How can I let you go?
How can I destroy you like Admah
    or demolish you like Zeboiim?
My heart is torn within me,
    and my compassion overflows.
No, I will not unleash my fierce anger.
    I will not completely destroy Israel,
for I am God and not a mere mortal.
    I am the Holy One living among you,
    and I will not come to destroy.
10 For someday the people will follow me.
    I, the Lord, will roar like a lion.
And when I roar,
    my people will return trembling from the west.


Now can you imagine the creator of the Heavens and Earth saying this to his creation?  It really caused my heart to pause for all I kept thinking was He's saying this to me. 

You see, I no longer saw Israel as the ones being arrogant, stubborn and rebellious.  It wasn't just them running to old lovers and attributing their good outcome to these man-made gods.  It was me.  It was me that prostituted, turned away, idolizing images and all the horrible betrayal that was listed. It was me that needed to give my love and not just offerings without honor.  It was me.

I thank God that in spite of what I deserve, God says "How can I let you go? How can I give you up?" 

His love is unrelenting in the chase for me.  His love is so perfect I don't comprehend it.  His love is unfailing and is for me.  Friend, if you are reading this then I want you to know that His love is for you also.  He says to you, I want you to love me. I want you to know me.  I will not let you go.

So be comforted today and know that nothing will separate you from this love; His love - the love of God.

Now we can say Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment