Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Joy to the world by Sarah Binda

Now I know we are past the Christmas season. If you are like my family, the tree with all the trimmings have been packed away as we are well into January of a new year.  However, I still think that this message of Joy remains relevant. 

My friend Sarah spoke to our church one Sunday morning and I was impacted by what she said...finding joy in my world.  I wanted to share some of her notes so that you too can receive a reigniting of the joy in your world.


Joy to the World?

By: Sarah Binda

 

Have you ever heard the Christmas song “In the Bleak Mid-Winter”?  It goes “In the bleak mid-winter frosty wind, made moan/ Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone.” We used to sing it at my choir’s Christmas concert and I always thought it was one of the most depressing Christmas songs I had ever heard. As a child, I had always thought of Christmas as a happy and joyous time, and I would have enjoyed singing “Joy to the World” at the concerts much more.

 

The word “bleak” has really been resonating with me recently. The world has seemed bleak to me, I see articles about crime rates being up, the political climate becoming more hostile, the literal climate becoming more volatile, and attacks on people around the world for what they believe; it just seems to go on and on. Where has the “Joy to the World” gone?

 
How do I in this coming year overcome the “bleak” and embrace the “Joy to the World” version of myself? I don’t mean to ignore what is happening in the world or in my life, but to look for the joy in any situation. Hebrews 12:2 says, “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

 

Look to Jesus

In order to find joy in this world, I must look towards the One who has saved us all. Although Jesus knew the pain He was going to endure, He also saw the larger reward. He saw you and I and the hope His sacrifice would bring to us. Instead of seeing the “bleak” in His situation, He saw the joy that His turmoil would bring the world. There are countless examples of figures in the Bible who saw the joy in the darkest of situations.

 

I would say that we all should aim to see the joy even in the bleakness. It is a choice to see the joy and the hope that having a relationship with Jesus brings us. The joy of knowing that we are unconditionally loved, valued and have a purpose in Him. Although this world may look bleak, we have Jesus protecting us with His love and grace and a heavenly home to look forward to.

 

Help Others

Knowing that we have a heavenly home is wonderful, but what about now, how do I find joy in the present, in the situation that I am currently in? How do I go from seeing the bleak to the joy? Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 says “I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.” It is often difficult to see past our own turmoil. Our burdens have a tendency to weigh us down. The struggles that we are facing may feel so acute, so enormous that we do not even know where to start. According to this scripture, God wants us to be happy, but there is an important conjunction in that scripture, and, it connects us to the “too do good while they live”. 

 

God has put in us a need to help others, and when we fulfill that need we find satisfaction and happiness. Sometimes it may feel like we are too busy to take on anything else, but it is important to make time to contribute and help. I had an extremely busy summer, and the months beforehand had been a very difficult time for my family. I was not in a place where I felt like I could be of service to anyone, far less be joyful. Yet, at the beginning of the year I had planned a trip with some friends to do volunteer work in New York at the beginning of the summer. I wanted to cancel. It felt like everything in my life was telling me not to go but I went. We spent a week, cleaning homeless shelters, serving food, assisting with a church building project and many other activities. It was amazing. The people I was helping thought that I was doing something for them, when in fact with each conversation, with each meal served, with each floor cleaned, I felt my burdens getting lighter.

 

Volunteering gave me perspective, it reignited my passion to serve others, and it brought joy back into my life. It is important to serve others, not only can it provide you with some clarity and restore your joy but it provides us with an opportunity to spread God’s love.

 

Our trials lead to joy

It is God’s gifts to us that even though we might face difficulties that we have to work hard to overcome, at the end of all of it there will be satisfaction; there will be joy. We do not face difficult times because the world or God is against us, we face them so that we may grow and find contentment in our lives. James 1:12 tells us that “12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” We can find hope in knowing that at the end of struggle there will be joy.

 

One of the realities of the time we live in is that finding a job in your field of study can be very difficult. I had spent five years in school, completing my undergrad and then completing another degree, I was ready to work. I was sending out resumes like they were flyers and I was hearing nothing back. I went several months without a job, which was discouraging. When I finally did get employed it was made so much sweeter because I knew that God was being faithful. If it had been easy I may not have appreciated, or worked as hard as I did to prove that I was the most qualified person for the position. My time of trial lead to not only a paycheck, and a better understanding of God’s faithfulness but it also brought so much joy.

 

This time of year holds a different meaning to each individual, but we often look towards the future. Instead of seeing all the things that could go wrong, I am choosing to look for all the things that could go right. I encourage you to do the same. Satisfy your soul by fellowshipping, gathering a group of friends, and doing something good. What good is the reward of heaven without some sacrifice here on earth? Allow yourself to be used by God this year, bringing joy to the world while you can.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is awesome! thanks for sharing this message. It really should be a Sunday morning Sermon :-)

    ReplyDelete