Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Though the Mountains Be Shaken

Though the Mountains Be Shaken

On March 26, 2011 I woke up feeling really good.  I had my Myah over with me and we were set to enjoy the day together.  Swimming lessons at 12:30pm, lunch and perhaps we would sing songs from Tree House.  My cell phone rang, interrupting whatever thoughts were zooming about in my head.  The face of the phone revealed my younger sister.  I knew.  I knew before I reached for it that something had gone terribly wrong. I knew it even before the feeling of dread became palpable to me.  I answered to hear her sobbing into the phone.  When my baby sister (and I use the term only to show the way we saw her in the family) cries, it really tugs at your heart strings. You feel an urgency to jump in and fix whatever is causing her distress.  So I was prepared mentally for what she told me, “I met in an accident. I hit someone’s car.” 

This statement by itself was not devastating. But she was on her way to receive physiotherapy for a previous accident only one week earlier.  She had just picked up Jimmy (God bless GMC) from the body shop the night before only to have the metal crushed again on the other side.  My sister in law galvanized into action, going to be with her as I took Myah swimming.  With that, I asked for the prayer warriors to begin praying.  My older sister, mother, aunt and grandmother were all away for a holy ghost filled conference that weekend.  I sent word to them and they began to earnestly pray life over my sister. 

So, as the day continued, God worked a miracle sending help from strangers to her assistance.  Witnesses of the accident, drove down the man who caused her to swing into the other lane, obtained his plate information and returned to give it to my sister.  They gave their details to her and that was the evidence the police used to charge him and not her.  God is good. 
She came over, in pain but thankfully alive.


The story really changed when one hour after returning home my sister went into a melt down literally. That was the moment I became filled with fear and anxiety.  I can only describe the events as someone in the throes of an epilectic seizure.  She crumbled to the floor and I felt helpless. Reaching for the phone I dialed for help only to be placed on hold – waiting for 911 emergency operators to replace the recorded greeting.  I heard myself screaming for help.  I think of it now and it felt like I was outside of my body observing everything from a distance. I sobbed loudly and after what seemed like forever, explained what was happening to the lady on the phone – finally. 

I remember that I started to plead the blood of Jesus, demanding that whatever this thing was flee from her body immediately. I remember how my insides felt shaken and off center.  So fear sat upon us both.  She came around, and the EMT workers decided that she was okay after speaking with her. They never saw her – no-one did.  Just me and God.
I don’t know what happened, but I know that a miracle occurred and healing was given.

The hours passed and I felt glued to her side. I was fearful of her going into another episode and hurting herself.  Then my older sister called.  I could hardly concentrate on the words she spoke as mind replayed in multiples the event of the day. 

But then she gave us instructions – go into a time of prayer and praise. I heard her, and I understood and agreed with her. I just didn’t feel like it.  But, we did. Romans 8 was our medicine.  I read it out loud to my baby sister and then we prayed.  As we forced our bodies to do this that the Lord had commanded I finally had my release.  It occurred to me that God’s love is protective but it is not preventative. James MacDonald spoke on that topic earlier in the week. The words he spoke flooded my memory.  I was also reminded of the bible verse my prayer partner and I read that Thurday prior:

10 Though the mountains be shaken
   and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
   nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
   says the LORD, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)




From this experience, I have finally understood that things happen that we don’t like or want. As Christians we are not excluded from pain in this life. We are not exempt from trials and afflictions. We hurt and we experience sorrow.  But, and this is the part that makes us different, we have a God that remains with us through all of it. His covenant of peace does not move.  He loves us and will never forsake us. 

I really become emotional at the thought of Him.   I praise Him when I am up and when I am down. When I have plenty and when my baskets are empty. When my health is good and when I am the one seeking to touch His garment for healing. 

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment