Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oh Lord Help My Unbelief

This morning I read from Mark Chap 9.  I was reading about the Father who brought his demon possessed son to Jesus to be healed.  I read along, already knowing the outcome, having read the story before. But something different happened this time around. I burst into tears, surprising only myself as I was physically alone in God's presence. It came about so suddenly, I barely had time to register it all.  I went from marvelling at the question the Dad posed to Jesus to crying in recognition of my own similarity to him.

For the benefit of those that never read Mark 9, here is what I read  this morning:

Mark 9

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+9&version=GW
17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son. He is possessed by a spirit that won’t let him talk. 18 Whenever the spirit brings on a seizure, it throws him to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes exhausted. I asked your disciples to force the spirit out, but they didn’t have the power to do it.” ....

21 Jesus asked his father, “How long has he been like this?”
The father replied, “He has been this way since he was a child. 22 The demon has often thrown him into fire or into water to destroy him. If it’s possible for you, put yourself in our place, and help us!”

23 Jesus said to him, “As far as possibilities go, everything is possible for the person who believes.”
24 The child’s father cried out at once, “I believe! Help my lack of faith.”


As I read the last few verses, I burst out crying.  I knew that I was also the Father, dancing the two step between faith and doubt.  I knew I was the one that exclaimed "I believe! I believe!" only to turn around and wonder, Can Christ really do it?

I cant imagine that I am the only one identifying with this desperate Dad.  I know that if you have read down this far, that you are a kindred spirit. Let me tell you then, that the story didn't end at verse 24.  It continued.  Jesus, did not rebuke or chastise him for his broken confession of unbelief. Instead, he did just what the man wanted and rid the demon from his son. 

I would like to think that Jesus would do the same for us. That our confessions, made in truth and sincerity, are what he can use.  I love how Jesus responded to this man. I saw compassion in Him and I know his compassion is available to you and me today.  Even as I sobbed through the remainder of the story, I felt comforted. It was as Jesus himself whispered "There there" in my ear. 

Let us allow Holy Spirit to search through us and identify once and for all the areas of unbelief, so that we may confess it before the One who is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment