Friday, December 6, 2013

Giving God Lip Service?


Am I just giving God lip service?

Is my heart really for Him?

Do I turn to him only when I am in trouble?

Do I do right by others?

Are my motives honorable and God driven?

Am I worshipping idols of money, family, friends or self?

Do I really love God with all my heart and soul?

 

Today I wrote these questions down as they popped into my head. It was triggered by listening to Psalm 78 this morning.  (I listen to the WORD as I get ready as a way to multi-task and finish my commitment to read/listen to the entire book of Psalms).

Psalm 78:36

New Living Translation (NLT)

36 But all they gave him was lip service;
they lied to him with their tongues.

 

This verse stood out to me and got me thinking about myself.  I love that because I know that God is talking to me, getting my attention on some things that need work; His work.

 
As I mulled the questions over, I had no answers that popped immediately in my head. This is when I got this email from my cousin with these verses:

 
This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. John 3:16-18

He loves me whether or not I love Him.  Yes, I love him, but I only love him because He loved me first. The author of the blog, Gwen Smith, describes God’s love as a bridge.  His loves comes across to me and invites me to Him.  He spans the mess of my life, my rebellious nature that caused our separation, and says here is the bridge, come across to my eternal life and stand without condemnation.  His love gives me the gift of life through His son. His love handles my questions and gives me a picture of authenticity.

 
His love is beyond anything I will ever be able to find in a person or thing. His love was before me, and it will remain after me.

 
It is true; I don’t love him nearly enough and I wish I did.  It is true; there are times when I say I love you God but it is only with my lips and in my heart, He knows it is a lie.  It is true; there are times that my heart is hard towards Him and what He wants me to do.  It is all true, yet, He loves me anyway. 

 
The song writer says How many times do I go against your will and yet you still call my name?  I say, God, thank you for loving me anyways.

 
The verses I have read have acted like a tenderizer to my heart and I am determined to make my life about HIM. My friend told me on Wednesday that I go to church like he would go to a club, all excited and can’t wait to get in.  I want my entire being to be laced with that excitement – can’t wait to get into the presence of a God who loves me anyway.

Am I the only one?  Is this you as well?  God loves you anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment