Monday, December 2, 2013

Silence and Simplicity


Today I cracked open a new Cd. This one was more special than the rest.  My little “sister”, Dionne Wilson, was the artist and composer.  This was her dream that she finally delivered.  She was pregnant with these ideas and creativity for a long time, and she did go through the pains of birth.  Like everyone who has ever gone through labour, the effort and hardship is ultimately worth it.  Her album is titled Beautiful Exchange and that is exactly how it can be described.

 

I can only tell you my reaction to the songs.  I listened to the first track and nodded in agreement. Time to change indeed, I thought.  The second track hit me unexpectedly; my reaction was immediate and it was gut wrenching.  “Come unto me in silence and simplicity” she sang. I knew that this was an invitation to me from my Heavenly Father.  I knew that He was calling me to Him, away from the distractions that recently have caused my eyes to shift focus.  I knew that He found me, when I wasn’t even looking for Him this very ordinary Monday morning.  I knew that His voice was behind her voice, and He was calling me “Come unto me”…we don’t have to say a word… but let my heart make that call.  I heard myself sobbing and I am tearing up again, because I am amazed by Him.  Why does He come after me? Why does He seek me out?  Why do I matter to Him so much?  Why does He love me?

 

There is the temptation to feel guilty, because I know myself and I tell you the truth, I don’t always think right, act right, talk right or walk right.  I felt guilty because I have not been in a Sunday service for so long (my sister has been home).  I felt guilty because I have read through so many books and still have not finished the book of Psalms.  The temptation to feel guilty is always overwhelming.  Yet, here He is, knowing all of my shortcomings and beyond and calling me to Come in Silence and Simplicity. 

 

I would like you to hear His invitation to you today as well. Perhaps you are distracted by the cares of this world. Maybe you feel that you have gone too far to ever face Him again. Maybe your issue is that you just don’t know how to come unto God. Maybe you don’t like being so transparent and vulnerable. However, He is not into fuss and fluff – silence and simplicity.  Come if you are weary. Come just to be in His presence and allow your heart to make the call of whether or not you speak.  Whatever you do while in His presence, just “Come”.  He invites you today Beloved…Just come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment